Endocrinology: the medical specialty dedicated to hormones
Did you know?
The endocrine system is complex and hormone disorders can have potentially profound consequences at a number of levels.
To help you find the best help possible, Concilio’s medical team is by your side to help you find the solution to your endocrine problems.
What is endocrinology?
Endocrinology is the science and medical specialty dedicated to the study of hormones, the disorders affecting endocrine glands together with their treatments, and the metabolism of the human body. Endocrine glands secrete the hormones responsible for a number of the human body’s functions such as nutrition, growth, reproduction, body temperature regulation as well as the diurnal cycle. An endocrinologist is a doctor who evaluates the function of the endocrine system and finds solutions to disorders affecting it.
Endocrinology: what it covers
Since endocrinology is the science of hormones, it covers all illnesses caused by hormonal disorders. Among the pathologies in this field are the following:
- Disorders affecting the ovaries, the testicles or sexual glands, such as early puberty, infertility, issues affecting the menopause…
- Disorders affecting the thyroid gland such as hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodules, cancers…
- Disorders affecting the adrenal glands which produce cortisol (the stress hormone), aldosterone (regulation of arterial blood pressure) and androgens (growth hormones) such as Addison’s disease, Cushing’s disease or Conn’s disease
- Pituitary disorders such as hypopituitarism or overproduction of hormones such as prolactin, ACTH, FSH, LH or TSH
- Diabetes and weight disorders also figure prominently among the activities of endocrinologists and diabetologists
Why is it important to obtain the best care when you are ill?
Concilio enables you to access the best healthcare available to you. Our medical team will personally assist you to help you deal with any health issue.
- In 45% of cases, your diagnosis or treatment plan could be optimized
- 9 out 10 doctors prescribe unnecessary medical acts: surgery, repeat investigations, non-compliance with recommended best medical practice
- All hospitals and clinics are not equal. Some are better suited to treating your illness than others.
- Medicine is becoming more and more specialized. It can be complicated to obtain reliable medical information and ensure you get to see the medical practitioner that’s right for you and your condition
754 peer-recommended endocrinologists have been identified by concilio